Job Posting OPEN
Medical Assistant - Req187
JOB TITLE: MEDICAL ASSISTANT
JOB LOCATION: NASA’s KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FL
JOB TYPE: REGULAR FULL TIME
JOB CLASSIFICATION: NON-EXEMPT
WHERE TO APPLY: imssfl.com
This position supports the Occupational Health Center. Principal areas of responsibility are in the clinical laboratory and clinical operations.
· Performs a wide range of non-invasive and invasive medical procedures including specimen collections (urine or other body fluids), immunizations, audiograms, Titmus and other vision testing.
· Performs basic vital signs and patient intake, including pulse, blood pressure, respirations, temperature, height, weight, near and far visual acuities, estimated visual fields, whisper hearing test, and other anthropomorphic measurements. Calculate BMI or body fat % as needed.
· Triage of emergency patients within the limits of standard or accepted practice and defined or approved competencies.
· Administer immunizations, allergy shots and vaccines as required, including administering and interpreting TB skin tests (PPD), followed by appropriate documentation and recording of procedures.
· Ensure proper collection, preparation, storage and transmission of specimens in compliance with established policies, procedures and instructions.
· Must have knowledge & experience with basic office equipment, including fax machines, copiers, label makers, postal meters, printers, scanners, computers, etc.
· Assist in maintaining the facilities and equipment in compliance with regulatory requirements and operational certifications.
· Working knowledge of common occupational medical forms.
. Routinely perform calibration, and maintenance of diagnostic testing equipment as required, such as BP machines.
Education / Training:
Current RMA or CMA (AAMA) certification status.
Familiarity, experience, certification (if indicated) and demonstrated competency with all office clinical diagnostic and testing equipment.
High school education, plus two years specialized training in a specified clinical discipline such as laboratory technology or equivalent education and experience in a clinical setting.
Basic certification in American Heart Association BCLS and American Red Cross Multi-Media First Aid desired. This position requires the capability to be accessible by electronic means in order to be reached in an emergency, which may require overtime, etc., for Rapid Response to unplanned work requirements. Must possess a valid state Driver’s licenses within 30 days of employment for the state where permanently assigned. Must maintain current training and proficiency in Biological Hazard Protection, i.e., Blood Borne pathogen and biological hazardous waste.
Certification in Occupational Hearing Conservation or ability to obtain certification. Training and experience in the area of hearing testing and recording of hearing exams is preferred. Experience in OSHA hearing conservation program and knowledge of how the program works and steps involved in evaluating, testing and certifying hearing conservation employees is preferred.
Experience in the use of an EMR (electronic Medical Record) to document daily interactions with patents and exams preferred. Reasonable computer skills and typing ability and experience or advanced training in Microsoft Office products required.
Familiarity with Federal, State and local regulations and standards relevant to the practice of Occupational Medicine is required.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• Ability to lift a 200-pound patient with assistance of another staff member, using proper body mechanics.
• Ability to perform 15 to 20 minutes of CPR, which includes adequate chest compressions and rescue breathing, for an obese patient in a cardiac arrest.
• Ability to bend, stoop, push, pull and reach over head.
• Ability to push a 200-pound patient in a wheelchair.
• Ability to demonstrate adequate CPR on a mannequin.
• Ability to climb hills, or up to 8 flights of stairs, while carrying a medical bag and a Robert Shaw (o2/suction unit) when responding to an emergency outdoors in humid 90-degree weather. The medical bag and 02 equipment weight approximately 30 pounds.
• Ability to perform duties for a period of 4-6 hours, outdoors in humid, 90+ degree weather.
• Adequate conversational hearing, near and far visual acuity, some eye/hand coordination and dexterity, and visual attention for sustained periods. Work may involve lifting and manipulating up to 50 pounds
Assist physician or physician assistant with physical examinations or treatment procedures as required.
Inventory, maintain, order and restock supplies for laboratory and clinical office functions.
Assist with health screening and wellness programs.
Attend and participate in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies as they relate to listed essential job functions or as requested by OHC management.
Assist in active implementation of company initiatives to ensure compliance with OSHA VPP, ISO, JCAHO, FL Department of Health and other mandated regulatory or conformance regulations and standards.
Must thrive in a team atmosphere and effectively work with all levels of employees. General office environment may require minor lifting and bending.
Complies with all Company safety policies and site-specific safety procedures. Participates in and supports the IMSS safety program. Ensures safe operating conditions within area of responsibility. Identifies potential hazards, concerns, and safety incidents and reports to supervisory personnel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
IMSS is a drug-free workplace.