Title: Director of Nursing
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervises: Physicians, Clinicians, CNA's, Volunteer
Coordinator, On-Call, Spiritual and
Director of Social Work
The Director of Nursing is responsible for the overall direction of hospice clinical
services. The Director of Nursing establishes, implements, and evaluates goals
and objectives for hospice services that meet and promote the standards of quality
and contributes to the total organization and philosophy.
MAJOR JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Promote and practice the Desert Valley Hospice philosophy and mission.
• Coordinates and supervises all direct and indirect patient services provided by
clinical organization personnel.
• Provides guidance and counseling to Clinicians and all program colleagues to assist them in continually
improving all aspects of hospice care services, provided through organization
• Provides help in assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient
and family/caregiver care to all clinical personnel as indicated.
• Interprets operational indicators to detect census changes and increases or
decreases in volume that could impact staffing levels, revenues or expenses.
• Works with the team to develop skills and techniques in
evaluating the performance of clinicians.
• Evaluates performance of Clinical Supervisors.
• Hires, evaluates, and terminates organization personnel.
• Conducts routine performance appraisals of direct report personnel.
• Oversees the maintenance of patient clinical records, statistics, reports and records
of purposes of evaluation and reporting of organization activities.
• Assures the proper maintenance of clinical records in compliance with local, state
and federal laws.
• Responsible for the maintenance of adequate and appropriated inventory supplies
and equipment for the provision of patient care.
• Develops implements and evaluates the orientation program for new organization
personnel. Responsible for the orientation of new organization personnel, directly
• Plans and implements in service and continuing education programs to meet
education and training needs of organization personnel.
• Assists with the evaluation of organization performance via performance
improvement program, productivity, quarterly and annual reviews. Assures for the
quality and safe delivery of hospice services provided through the organization.
• Promotes customer service and the building of relationships with the referral
sources that we serve.
• Makes customer service visits to foster better relationships with facilities
leadership and to support the nurses in the field.
• Assists in the development of organization goals. Develops, recommends, and
administers organization polices and procedure.
• Assures compliance with all local, state and federal laws regarding licensure and
certification of organization personnel and maintains compliance to the Local
Medicare Review Policy’s (LMRP’s) and Accreditation Commission for Health
Care (ACHC) standards.
• Stays informed about changes in the field of nursing and hospice care; shares
information with appropriate organization personnel.
• Promotes hospice referrals in the healthcare community.
• In the absence of the Executive Director/AVP, the Director of Clinical Services
will become the acting Administrator and will be vested with the authority to
act on behalf of the Administrator.
• Assume other duties as assigned.
Be a Registered Nurse in the State with current license to practice professional
nursing in the State.
Possess an Associates/ Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited program.
Master’s degree in nursing preferred.
Three (3) years of management experience in a hospice or related healthcare organization.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise and direct professional and administrative
• Ability to market and deal tactfully with customers and the community.
• Has excellent observation, verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of business management, government regulations and ACHC
• Must be a license driver with an automobile that is in good working order and
demonstrate ongoing insurance in accordance with state and or Organization